- The Email Signature Handbook
- Email Signature Hints & Tips
- Email Signature Examples and How to Write Them
- How to Create an HTML Email Signature
- The 17 DOs and DON’Ts of Email Signatures
- Take the Next Step in Business Email: Create an Email Signature
- 10 Reasons Why Email Signature Branding Is Important
- The Top 10 Email Signature Branding DOs & DON’Ts
- The Top 15 Things Not to Include in Email Signatures
- The Top 15 Email Signature Design Tips
- How to Choose the Best Email Signature Format
- The Truth About Using HTML Images in Email Signature Templates
- Choosing The Best Email Signature Fonts
- How to Effectively Use Logos in Email Signatures
- Using the Right Email Signature Size
- Creating the Perfect Mobile Email Signature
- How to Avoid Using Poor Mobile Email Signatures
- How to Create an Android Email Signature
- How to Create an HTML iPhone Email Signature
- How to Create & Add a Signature in Yahoo Mail
- How to Create Effective Email Signatures for Macs (12 Easy Steps)
- How to Create an Email Signature in Windows 10 Mail App
- Embedded vs Hosted Images in Email Signatures
- How to Use Social Media in Email Signatures Effectively
- Social Media in Email Signatures: The Top 10 DOs & DON’Ts
- Add Social Media Icons in Email Signatures (With 100+ Icons)
- The Top 10 Email Signature Contact Details DOs & DON’Ts
- How to Use Active Directory for Email Signatures
- The Top 10 Email Signature Marketing DOs & DON’Ts
- How to Track Link Clicks in Email Signatures
- Creating Perfect Email Signatures for Students
- The Positive Benefits of a Personal Email Signature
- How to Add a Professional Handwritten Signature to Your Email
- The Pros & Cons of Using Animated GIFs in Email Signatures
- The Top 5 Common Email Signature Mistakes
- The 10 Best Ways to Use Internal Email Signatures
- How to Use Reply Email Signatures Effectively
- The 3 Benefits of Using an Email Address in Email Signatures
- Using Email Signature Photos Effectively
- Introducing Email Signature Surveys
- The Amazing Benefits of 1-Click Email Signature Surveys
- Using Email Signatures for Different Departments Effectively
- Using Email Signature Banners for Marketing Purposes
- The Best Elements of Email Signature Marketing
- Why Email Signatures Are a Valuable Marketing Channel (11 Examples)
- How to Calculate the True Value of Email Signature Marketing Campaigns
- The Use of Email Signature Quotes (40+ Examples)
- The 10 Tips for Using Email Signature Images for Certifications
- Using a Green Email Signature Footer
- The Top 10 Festive Christmas Email Signature Tips
- 4 Dynamic Ways to Use Meeting Links in Email Signatures
- How to Use Gender Pronouns in Email Signatures Positively
- The Ultimate Guide to Using Emojis in Email Signatures
- Email Signature Management
- Email Disclaimers
- What is an Email Disclaimer?
- 4 Ways to Add an Email Disclaimer
- 13 Free Email Disclaimer Examples & Templates
- Top 10 Email Disclaimer DOs & DON’Ts
- The Complete Guide to Email Disclaimer Laws in the United States
- The Complete Guide to Email Disclaimer Laws in Canada
- The Complete Guide to Email Disclaimer Laws in the European Union
- The Complete Guide to Email Disclaimer Laws in the United Kingdom
- The Complete Guide to HIPAA Email Disclaimers
- The Top 4 HIPAA Email Disclaimer Examples
- The Complete Guide to GDPR Email Disclaimers
- The Top 5 GDPR Email Disclaimer Examples
- Email Signature Template Guide
- 101 Email Signature Templates & Designs
- The Best Email Signature Designs in 2022
- Professional Teacher Email Signatures (With Examples)
- Doctor Email Signatures (With Examples)
- CEO Email Signatures (With Examples)
- Professional Realtor Email Signatures (With Examples)
- Attorney and Lawyer Email Signatures (With Best Examples)
- The Top 8 Halloween Email Signature Examples
- The Top 8 Thanksgiving Email Signature Template Examples
- The Top 8 Black Friday Email Signatures
- The Top 10 Festive Christmas Email Signature Templates
- 17 Great Email Signature Templates with Social Media Icons
- 17 Top Email Signature Templates with HTML Images
- The Top 17 Email Signature Banner Examples
- The Top 17 Mobile Email Signature Templates
- The Top 15 Text Based Email Signature Templates
- 5 Plain Text Email Signature Template Examples
- The 7 Worst Email Signature Templates
- Email Signature Advanced Guides
- 13 Out of Office Examples & Templates
- The Ultimate Email Sign-Offs Guide
- The Worst Business Email Sign Offs (10 Examples)
- The Increasing Importance of Business Emails
- The Top 15 Email Etiquette Rules
- The Ultimate Guide on Electronic Signatures, Digital Signatures, and Email Signatures
- How to Write the Perfect Job Inquiry Email in 11 Steps
- How to Write a Formal Email (With 3 Examples)
- Writing the Perfect Business Email (With Examples)
- How to Write Great Meeting Invitation Emails (Samples & Top Tips)
- 30+ Common Email Acronyms & How To Use Them
- How to Introduce Yourself in an Email [7 Easy Steps]
- 14 Follow-Up Email Example Templates & Mistakes to Avoid
- How to Send an Email the Right Way [9 Avoidable Mistakes]
- How to Write the Perfect Thank You Email – With Examples
- 19 Common Grammatical Errors to Avoid in Emails
- The 7 Business Email Mistakes to Avoid at Work
- 12 Business Email Phrases to Avoid
- Junk Folders: 11 Reasons Why Emails End Up There
- 9 Ways to Increase Your Email Deliverability
- 15 Ways to Maximize Your Organization’s Email Security
- 200 Spam Words to Avoid in Your Emails
- How to Build an Effective Email Marketing List
- 16 Email Marketing Mistakes to Avoid in the 2020s
- Email Signatures & Remote Working
- Microsoft 365/Office 365 Signatures
- How to Create an Office 365 Email Signature Easily
- What You Can & Can’t Do in Office 365 Email Signatures
- Outlook Signature Not Working in Office 365?
- Using Office 365 Transport Rules
- How to Create a Distribution List in Outlook for Office 365
- Introducing the Office 365 Disclaimer Function
- Outlook 365 – Your Signature & its Impact on Drafting an Email
- Does Your Email Signature Work for Outlook365 in Dark Mode?
- Compare Office 365 with Exclaimer
- Compare Outlook Roaming Signatures and Exclaimer
- G Suite (Google Workspace)
- Microsoft Exchange
- Outlook Signatures
The 7 Worst Email Signature Templates
Brought to you by Exclaimer
Getting the design of an email signature template right can be tricky. It’s also very easy to get wrong. Sending an email with a badly designed email signature can reflect badly on you and your company.
Below are 7 examples of the worst email signatures that will show you what you shouldn't do when you create a signature template:
1. Multiple fonts, sizes, and colors
Avoid using lots of different fonts, colors, and sizes such as in this terrible email signature example below. It makes the contact information too difficult to read. Your email disclaimer will also look more prominent that you want it to. This makes it one of the worst email signatures possible.
2. Badly ordered content
When creating an email signature, the content must be ordered in a logical way. Placing the logo and your name in the middle of the signature does not make sense. It makes important elements like your phone number and email address harder to find. It should be easy for a recipient to find relevant contact information quickly.
When building the email signature template, create a hierarchy for contact details. Think about what information your contacts would want to see first. Usually, your full name and job title will appear first. Then you include ways for people to contact you along with the URL of your company.
3. Giant social media icons
This example below is a poor email signature design because the social media icons take up most of the room in the signature. The social media icons should not be the focal point of an email signature, it should be the company logo. This will ensure your brand is instantly recognized by your contacts.
You also shouldn't include links to social media unless they are relevant. If you're on ten different platforms, only link to four at most. The worst email signatures include to many links that simply overwhelm the rest of the signature content.
4. Lots of hyperlinks
The worst email signature examples use lots of hyperlinks. These end up looking messy and isn’t necessary when you can use HTML images instead.
5. Too many images
The terrible email signature example below features too many HTML images which distracts from the contact details. There is simply too much going on and will detract from the content of the email itself. The signature probably won't render correctly in many email clients and almost certainly won't be mobile-friendly.
If you're running an email signature marketing campaign, choose images that are relevant. For example, include one display banner with a clear call to action. This will improve the efficacy of your campaign.
6. Large email disclaimer
When people complain about email signatures, it's often to do with the email disclaimer. This is particularly true if the text is long and takes up a lot of room in the email body.
If you must use a long disclaimer in your email signature, make sure the text is a small size, so it doesn’t take up lots of room.
Also, make sure that the disclaimer appears somewhat apart from the main signature block.
7. No spacing between images and text
The worst email signature templates use no spacing (also known as padding) such as in the example below. This makes a terrible signature design because the content looks squashed. It makes everything too difficult to read and will render poorly.
Need help designing a professional email signature?
Whether you’re designing for mobile devices, plain text or want to see how to incorporate a promotional banner into your signature, check out our email signature template gallery for examples of how to get signature design right.
And if you want to ensure you never create a terrible email signature template again, choose Exclaimer to centrally design and manage signatures for everyone in your organization. Exclaimer has a range of products for Office 365 (now Microsoft 365), G Suite (now Google Workspace), and Microsoft Exchange that make controlling email signatures simple.
Ready to get started?
Exclaimer transforms everyday emails into a valuable platform to drive sales and build stronger relationships.
Start a free 14-day trial today (no credit card information required!) or book a demo with one of our product specialists to find out more.
Learn more with our range of resources
The Untapped Potential of Corporate Emails
Think email signatures are just a way to display contact details? Think again! Discover the full potential of your corporate email signatures in our white paper.Read More >
The Importance of Email Signature Management for Hybrid Workers
Making the move to hybrid working serves up a number of challenges for organizations. Find out how to make sure email signature management isn’t one of them.Read More >
The Top 10 Email Signature Management Headaches
Find out how to cure the headache of email signature management for IT teams – for good!Read More >