How to Add a Signature in Gmail in 5 Easy Steps
Brought to you by Exclaimer
It is quite easy to add a professional Gmail signature that will make you stand out from the crowd. All you need to do is the following:
- Login to Gmail.
- In the top right of the screen, click Settings (gear symbol) > See all settings.
- Scroll to the Signature section to open the signature editor.
- Create your email signature in the text box.
- Once complete, click Save Changes.
Create a professional Gmail signature
If you’re looking to create a more professional email signature design using more than just plain text, a bit more thought is required. Let’s look at what goes into creating a professional Gmail signature in more detail.
- Firstly, you need to add your contact information. As this is going to be a professional email, you need to include the following elements at a minimum:
- Your full name
- Job title
- Company name
- Phone number
- Email address For more information on what to include in a professional email signature, go to this article
- You can then add additional formatting to make your signature look more interesting without going too overboard. Resist the urge to use loads of different fonts as it will make your signature look messy:
- You will want to add at least one hyperlink for something like your website, email address or your social media accounts:
- Highlight the signature text you want to add a hyperlink to and click the Link icon as shown below:
- You can hyperlink the highlighted text with a web or email address. You also have the option to change the display text in your Gmail signature if you wish:
- Click OK and the text will now have a hyperlink: If you’re happy with your signature, scroll to the bottom of the screen and click Save Changes. However, as this is a professional signature, you should also add an image like your company logo.
- Choose an image you want to use:
- Upload it to an image hosting service. Gmail signatures do not allow for embedded images, so your image has to be available online.
- Click on the Insert Image icon as shown below and enter the link for your image:
- Click Web Address (URL) and paste the URL of your image into the field. You should see a preview your image appear below. If there is no preview, the URL is most likely incorrect:
- Click Select. The image will now appear in your Gmail signature, which you can then resize. You have the option to choose from Small, Medium, Large, and Original Size. You can also hyperlink the image to a specific URL. This is true of any other images you might use like social media icons.
- Finally, if you are happy with your signature, scroll to the bottom and click Save Changes.
- Your new email signature will appear every time you compose a new message in Gmail. As the image is hosted, you also won’t have to upload it every time you send an email.
This process works well if it’s just for an individual user or for a personal account. You want everyone in your company to use the same default signature, you’re going to run into issues. You’ll want all staff to use the same design so that your organization has a consistent look. Asking everyone to create the same signature template is not going to be manageable.
If you have an IT department, you could get them to manually go to each person’s desk and carry out signature updates, but that will be a long and drawn-out process. You also won’t be able to stop your users from modifying and/or changing their signature in Gmail.
In other words, you’re not going to have any level of control if you let your users add a signature in Gmail to suit their purposes.
What can I do?
To centrally design and control professional Gmail signatures for all employees, you’ll want to choose a third-party email signature management solution to do all the hard work for you. You can then ensure that all users get the same consistent design whenever they send an email and save hours of time that you’d spend carrying out manual signature updates.
Ready to get started?
Exclaimer transforms everyday emails into a valuable platform to drive sales and build stronger relationships.
Start a free 14-day trial today (no credit card information required!) or book a demo with one of our product specialists to find out more.
Learn more with our range of resources
Making the move to hybrid working serves up a number of challenges for organizations. Find out how to make sure email signature management isn’t one of them.Read More >